Thursday, May 30, 2013

Fin

I met him once.
He had just left the tongue of a storyteller
With brilliant red hair,
And an unforgettable voice.

He came into my life and moved me
As a current in a river would usher the fish in its reach
Upstream.

I felt him in my spirit.
Most days he sat quietly, unnoticeable.
Other days, important days,
When choices were to be made,
He pushed into my heart,
Demanding I recognize his presence inside of me.

He called me to be someone better than myself.
There were times I hushed him.
I ignored the pull on my heart
And made the easier choice.
Those times often, like a fish in a river,
Swimming against the current,
Left me tired and weak.

Soon, after I had grown accustom to his presence,
I began to feel him crawling upward.
He began in the back of my throat and made his way
Out of me, off my tongue.
I told him to a friend, who too, took him in.

I imagine he sits in the belly of some soul
Unknown to me,
Pushing on their heart,
Inspiring their choices,

Making storytellers of us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment